OD - TSS Tech Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diagnostic Software

+2
CHRISEVOVIII
NewYorkJets597
6 posters

Go down

Diagnostic Software Empty Diagnostic Software

Post  NewYorkJets597 Tue May 03, 2011 12:18 pm

we definitely need some sort of diagnostic software to test hard drives, memory, ect..

i suggest Spin Right. It's a good program that not only runs tests on the drive, it could also possibly fix damaged sectors. This will greatly assist us in diagnosing a repair before writing up a DnR which will get kicked back to us due to a failing drive. We can save some time and customer aggravation in getting it correct the first time and not having to rewrite the order to RoP and sell an additional part. We do have a lot of customers not willing to upgrade to windows 7, and it's worth it to them to fix their old machines.

On a side note, there is no capability to switch work orders like there was in the old system.

Dan Miller

NewYorkJets597

Back to top Go down

Diagnostic Software Empty Re: Diagnostic Software

Post  CHRISEVOVIII Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Dan,

Support.com is trying to build us a disc currently with a hardware utility on the disc.

In regards to the ability to change the work order in the new system you should do the following:

Support.com rejects a peice of the order. You would stay in oracle and complete the order completly. The rejected sku should not be modifiable in G-Mil. This is what IT has explained to me.

Thanks,
Chris

CHRISEVOVIII
Admin

https://od-tss.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Diagnostic Software Empty Diagnostic software

Post  mattellis242 Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I know OD and support.com doesn't not have any way to test hardware. I recommend downloading UBCD (ultimate boot cd) you can google UBCD and it will take you to the website to download the ISO, that will test RAM, hard drives, motherboards etc....

mattellis242

Back to top Go down

Post  CHRISEVOVIII Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 pm

I sent an e-mail to all stores with the hard drive utility the other day

CHRISEVOVIII
Admin

Back to top Go down

Diagnostic Software Empty diag software

Post  NewYorkJets597 Mon May 09, 2011 2:39 pm

I don't mean to nitpick here, but the software we were given is not bootable and can only be run when windows is up and running. This is practically useless for diagnosing a bad drive in an unbootable machine. Is there a bootable version available?

thanks,
Dan

NewYorkJets597

Back to top Go down

Post  CHRISEVOVIII Mon May 09, 2011 2:44 pm

NewYorkJets597 wrote:I don't mean to nitpick here, but the software we were given is not bootable and can only be run when windows is up and running. This is practically useless for diagnosing a bad drive in an unbootable machine. Is there a bootable version available?

thanks,
Dan
Not currently. This is the diagnostic tool that is availble at this time to run. We are still attempting to find other alternatives.

CHRISEVOVIII
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rangers9944 Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

mattellis242 wrote:I know OD and support.com doesn't not have any way to test hardware. I recommend downloading UBCD (ultimate boot cd) you can google UBCD and it will take you to the website to download the ISO, that will test RAM, hard drives, motherboards etc....

Hey Matt,

Thank you VERY much for letting us know about this software! It's absolutely perfect for what we needed it for.

Chris...take a look into this UBCD software. It really is everything we need and works amazingly!

Frank
Store 597

Rangers9944

Back to top Go down

Post  CHRISEVOVIII Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you for the information about UBCD. I have passed the information along internally and will let the team know what we find out. It looks like a great utility.

Thanks,

CHRISEVOVIII
Admin

Back to top Go down

Diagnostic Software Empty We have been using...

Post  Skywater Wed May 11, 2011 8:57 pm

We have been using Parted Magic for over a year now. It's a Linux distro that can be found from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/

Unlike UMBC, it does not violate any legal UAC issues. It also doesn't need licensing from the publisher like SpinRite.

This does provide a full graphical interface to diagnose and retrieve files for customers. There is even SMARTmon tools and file recovery tools available in this package.

-Luke Fitzwater

Skywater

Back to top Go down

Post  tear2wo Thu May 12, 2011 6:04 pm

we should use his suggestion ^^^^^

tear2wo

Back to top Go down

Post  NewYorkJets597 Fri May 13, 2011 6:03 pm

thanks Luke...good stuff here..

dan