OD - TSS Tech Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Massive Attack!

5 posters

Go down

Massive Attack! Empty Massive Attack!

Post  AnthonyR_87 Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Since we don't have a "Quick Fixes & Tips" section yet, I thought I'd just let you all know about a serious virus issue that has been floating around lately. At least at our store, we have had numerous PCs come in with viruses that disable the use of all .exe files, installation or use of any external media, and the User files within the folder are seemingly missing. This is not the case though, since the virus has actually changed the contents within the folder to be hidden. This happens regardless of whether or not you are in safe mode.

So for anyone who runs into this issue, please make sure to check the folder options to make sure that hidden folders are visible. This way we don't have to worry about a customer's files and documents getting deleted, seeing as how there is no way to connect the computer to the internet in order to have it serviced. After the files have been backed up (if the customer pays for it of course), the best thing to do is reformat or restore the drive and then have it serviced through the normal means of a Diagnose and Repair.

There have also been quite a few FaceBook hacks lately that you can bring up to a customer in order to also add value to any new Optimize and Protect service that is offered. You all know how people love their FaceBook. Ask if they've seen comments such as "To keep from getting SPAM, please click here and verify your account", "See who has been looking at your page! Click here!", "OMG! Get these free iPads that were missplaced before they are gone!", etc.
AnthonyR_87
AnthonyR_87

Back to top Go down

Massive Attack! Empty virus

Post  NewYorkJets597 Mon May 16, 2011 6:17 pm

i've seen a few of these as well. The last one i had actually removed everything from the start menu too. Even after unhiding the profile, i had to manually reenter all the programs into the start menu since support.com didn't seem to want to fix the problem after i reconnected it twice. So be careful of this one, it's nasty...

NewYorkJets597

Back to top Go down

Massive Attack! Empty Same problem here

Post  dwolff Mon May 16, 2011 6:26 pm

We were able to get into safe mode and recover back 2 days prior to the symptoms starting. Seemed to do the trick. No application was able to pick up any signs of the virus after we recovered.

perfect time to suggest recovery discs if they didnt want them when the purchased the pc.

dwolff

Back to top Go down

Massive Attack! Empty Re: Massive Attack!

Post  CHRISEVOVIII Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 am

Great post!! Thank you for sharing this information with the team.

CHRISEVOVIII
Admin

https://od-tss.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Massive Attack! Empty CALL SUPPORT SOFT First...

Post  chkstar Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 pm

I have not yet seen this Virus, but in a discussion with one of the Techs from Support Soft, he recommended that we call them FIRST before CONNECTING, because they need to get in before the Virus permanantly deleats the files.

SO, if you SEE these symptoms, CALL SUPPORT SOFT before CONNECTING the CLIENT, which runs Automated stuff, which causes permanent deletion of the user files.

-Jay-
chkstar
chkstar

Back to top Go down

Massive Attack! Empty Re: Massive Attack!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum