OD - TSS Tech Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help after a DNR!!!

4 posters

Go down

Need help after a DNR!!! Empty Need help after a DNR!!!

Post  Rangers9944 Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey everyone...

I'm in need of some help. Dan took in a Compaq PC yesterday and did a DnR. After the DnR was complete...the viruses were removed and everything worked fine. Now, the customer came in today to pick up the computer. He took it home, then moments later called me on the phone. His keyboard on his laptop was typing numbers.

Now before you go to the obvious answer...the NumLock key...I've already tried that. Also...the numbers that it's typing are in order. Meaning...no matter what keys I press...it'll always type out in order 01234567890123...etc etc. I can just completely mash the keyboard like an ape...and it'll type out in order.

What makes this even more strange...was that the keyboard was working fine before the service yesterday.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I tried Google...and all I kept getting was the obvious NumLock answers...this is beyond just NumLock.

Frank Braile
Store 597

Rangers9944

Back to top Go down

Need help after a DNR!!! Empty Re: Need help after a DNR!!!

Post  AnthonyR_87 Sat May 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Try going into the device manager and roll-back the Keyboard drivers, if possible. If you don't have that option, then uninstall the keyboard drivers, restart the computer, and then the computer should try to reinstall the drivers upon returning to the main screen. If it doesn't try to find the drivers on its own, unplug and then plug the keyboard back into the computer or go into the device manager and click the button that will scan for new hardware.

Hopefully this fixes the issue for you. If not, I'll see what else I can come up with for you.
AnthonyR_87
AnthonyR_87

Back to top Go down

Post  NewYorkJets597 Mon May 23, 2011 12:54 pm

ended up being this program called guardedID causing the problem...so after much distress, the problem was finally resolved...

NewYorkJets597

Back to top Go down

Need help after a DNR!!! Empty Try doing a restore point

Post  KTO0409 Mon May 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Try doing a restore point back to a few days ago and see if that brings it back to working order, but then run the DNR service again to make sure the malware is out. That usually works for most of our issues.

KTO0409

Back to top Go down

Post  AnthonyR_87 Mon May 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Glad to hear that the issue had a simple solution.

@KTO0409 be careful when doing a restore, it isn't always the "cure-all" solution to software issues. Sometimes it serves as a temporary patch to a more long-term/serious problem.
AnthonyR_87
AnthonyR_87

Back to top Go down

Post  KTO0409 Mon May 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Usually leave the restore point as a last resort option for that very reason

KTO0409

Back to top Go down

Post  NewYorkJets597 Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

the system restore didn't work. The fix involved changing a registry value and disabling that program to get it to work. What was odd was that it didn't start until after the service was completed, so something happened when support.com was working on it. I've had garbled characters before on laptops and it's almost always the num lock thing... but this was 0-9 in sequential order no matter what keys were pressed...

thankfully it got resolved..

NewYorkJets597

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum